05 March 2008

Because, Really. . . Who *Doesn't* Like Tea Cakes ?

I made a batch of little "tea cakes" today. They are nothing special as far as the components go -- a little water, a little oil, a few eggs, and my special ingredient -- a storebought yellow cake mix !

What IS special, however, is the pan ! It's a Nordic Ware tea cake pan with 30 "cavities" (which is only fair, because that's probably how many I'm going to end up with).

I made a couple of full batches, but didn't have enough batter to make a third full pan, so I just picked my favorites and poured batter into them.

They came out okay, but I think more trial and error is definitely warranted. It's harder than it looks to get the right amount of batter in each little space, but I will vow right now to continue my quest and make tea cakes as many times as it takes to get it right ! =D

Then. . . I did a little experimenting with glazes. Mind you. . . I've never *made* a glaze before. Evah.

It's not all that hard, btw. Confectioner's sugar + milk + a little vanilla extract makes a perfectly serviceable glaze. Nota bene: A so-called "splash" of milk into your powdered sugar mound immediately renders said sugar to a liquid state -- not really what I was going for. It all worked out fine, though. I just added more sugar to the viscosity until it looked "right". I had a little over a cup of glaze at that point. The plain white glaze had that "powdered sugar" aftertaste, tho, and that's not what I wanted.

I poured off about a third into another bowl and another third into a second bowl. I put a couple shakes of ground cinnamon into one bowl and the same amount of cocoa into the other bowl. Yeah. Miracle.

I still have most of the tea cakes right now, but let me say this -- Robert LOVED them ! They are about the diameter of a quarter and about an inch tall, so. . .these may be my favorite new "tiny snack".

Pics to come.





Update: Pics as promised (and only 6 months late !)






Thoughts ?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Save some for me.