22 February 2008

Weekend Meanderings When It's Not Raining

We took a little trip this weekend around the 3 loop. We drove across the Purdy causeway and went over to Shelton, just because we hadn't been there before. We have been telling ourselves that we wanted to visit Shelton -- we just hadn't taken the time before. The weather was beautiful and it was so pretty driving through all the pine trees with a bright blue sky above us.

When we got to Shelton, we realized it was a little smaller than we anticipated. Robert had done the prep work and knew that Shelton was about 3,000-3,500 people -- I guess I just forgot that that's kind of a little town, compared with where we're currently living. =D


We poked around Shelton for a little bit and stopped into their "big" thrift store because I'm just a junk . . . um. . . junkie. Nothing to write home about. If I was des-per-ate, the silverware collection might be a place to root around if for nothing more than bracelet/necklace components. (Think Perry & Kelly Smith, Kate). We (okay, fine -- I) got a little lost driving around in town as well. I blame this on my mother's genes. You know I'm calling you out for Everett, Momma. We also took a peek at the Mason County Courthouse building which was definitely worth a visit.

Anyhow, while los. . . err. . . bewildered, we came upon this sign:
** insert pic here**
and that's when we knew that it was probably time for us to move along.

We went from Shelton down to Olympia, which is the state capitol of Washington. The state capitol building has a large dome on it, as do many of the other state capitol buildings that I have seen. It also appears to be built out of the same huge blocks of stone that the county courthouse building is made of so it was a nice bit of architectural continuity.

By then, it was getting a little bit nippy so we headed back towards home. Shipwreck Beads is on the way, though, so I persu . . . trick. . .err made a deal with Robert that I wouldn't spend more than 30 minutes there. I got some really cool hematite pieces and some random stone strings. I also got a string of something I'd never seen identified -- it's called blue goldstone. It's a very dark blue/purple with what looks like glitter inside the stone. Some pieces have much more "glitter" than others, but it's still a gorgeous stone. I was considering making earrings, but none of the pieces on the string look close enough to one another where I think that they will look good as a set. *sigh* Maybe I just need to string them as a bracelet. I'll think about it.

No comments: