15 March 2010

A Fork in the Road

Otherwise known as the road less taken.

I've wondered about the road less taken for a long time. I find myself wondering about jobs that I did not take and places that I did not live, schools I did not attend and what other choices I might have made.

Don't get me wrong -- I accept the choices that I've made and I don't necessarily regret any of them. I'm just wondering about what might have been. I've always heard that a re-examination of your life every ten years is appropriate, but I seem to be either late or reeeeally early this time.

I've been kicking the idea of returning to school around for quite a while and I'm starting to feel myself leaning more and more towards that fork. I just hate to have to keep starting over and always starting from scratch. Maybe another degree will be the extra "oomph" that I need in order to sell my brain and have someone appreciate the small talents that I actually possess.

I also dream about teaching. I love sharing knowledge with others, but am a little apprehensive about taking something that I love so much and possibly losing that love by having to actually do it on a daily basis.

My last dream is to be a full-time mom, but -- let's face it -- that one may be beyond me. The hands (and sands) of time wait for no man, but I had to wait a very long time for mine. Still, there are always children that need families -- all it ever takes is money, love, and time.

Back to the fork/s, I suppose.

Thoughts ?

1 comment:

Wafa said...

At least my personal experience with teaching is the more I do it, the more I love it. I have been teaching the same course for 4 semesters now, 2 & sometimes 3 sections each time, with the sections all back to back on the same days, & I am not tired of it yet. Not even slightly bored. The world is constantly changing; different students have different questions; different classes have completely different dynamics. I'm truly blessed to actually get paid to do something I love so much.

In a sentence: if you are thinking about teaching, try it. I promise you that if you enjoy it, it will never get old.